What is ISO 50001: 2011
ISO 50001 is a new international energy management system (EnMS). This is the first global energy management system after many standards are issued in national and regional scopes such as EN 16001. ISO 50001 EnMS is based on a management system model that has been understood and implemented by companies around the world. The ‘plan-do-check-art’ principle remains to be done on this standard as well as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and other management system standards.
The benefits of applying this Standard are intended to achieve the following:
- Assist organizations in making better use of their existing energy consuming assets
- Create transparency and facilitate communication on energy resource management
- Promote best energy management practices and strengthen good energy management behavior
- Assist facilities in evaluating and prioritizing the implementation of new energy-saving technologies
- Provide a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain
- Facilitate the improvement of energy management for greenhouse gas emissions reduction projects
- Allow integration with organizational management systems such as environment, and health and safety.